Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My Happiest Moment

“Happy moments are fleeting, but when captured, preserves the feeling and keeps the memories alive” - Shemah

If you go around asking mothers what their happiest moments are, I could guarantee that almost all (if not all) would probably give you an answer that's related to their children or spouse. I, personally, can definitely relate to that. My two children, my husband and the rest of my family are the center of my life. Without them, I am nothing.

Thinking back to the happiest moments in all my 28 years of life, I COULD say that the birth of my two children will be top on that list.

But I WON'T.

Why?

Well, like some people say, happiness is a state of mind.

Ever seen a woman in labor? Want to know her state of mind?!?!?! In as much as I truly believe that my children are my life's best achievements, giving birth is not exactly my definition of contentment and pleasure! Ask a woman in throes of contractions and ask her, right then and there, if THAT moment is the happiest moment in her life and you'd probably be wearing a hand print on your face for 2 whole weeks! That is, IF you're lucky.

Photobucket

With that being said, although one of the happiest moments to share in my life would be the obvious choice of my children or husband, I rather share the part of my life that I've never really talked about before on my blog. The part that was undoubtedly one of the best times of my life; MY CHILDHOOD.

Real elation is when you feel you could touch a star without standing on tiptoe.  ~Doug Larson

Oh, to be a kid again! No stress, no sadness or grief, no worries, no obligations, no responsibilities... just pure unadulterated joy! I attribute my happy childhood to my parents. They weren't wealthy by any means but we wanted for nothing. We were hauled off overseas so my parents could continue their studies and despite being students and doing odd jobs to make ends meet, (my father worked as a part time janitor at his university and my mom would cook and sell food to fellow Malaysian students – including making and selling salted eggs!), they always made time for us.

My father has always been a hands on dad. He would be the one to take over my mom when she had to concentrate on her finals or had early morning classes. Therefore he would do the cooking, bathe us and in the evenings, bring us cycling. By night fall, he would always read to us; the highlight of my days, which was also perhaps the reason why I started reading when I was only 3 years old. During the weekends, he'll either bring us on a road trip to the neighbouring county or he'd bring my brothers fishing. 
  
And if there's one thing you must know about my father, is that he's PASSIONATE about photography. He took pictures of us every possible chance he could get. If we were to receive a penny for every picture he took, he probably wouldn't have to work anymore and just sit down lounging in a yacht off the coast of Bora Bora! LOL! Everything my siblings and I did, was a Kodak moment to him. 

One of my favorite photos he took of me was also one of the happiest moments of my childhood. :)
I was 5 years old. It was the first Halloween that my sister and I were allowed to go trick or treating with the rest of the kids in the neighbourhood..

So all we had to do was decide on what we wanted to go as... BUT on ONE condition.

We had to choose our costumes from the 99cent bin at K-Mart because my parents couldn't afford extravagant costumes.

Honestly, I didn't care one single bit. I was just excited that I could go AT ALL. My sister decided on being a Moon Dreamer because that was just the 'shiznit' back then. I took a while to decide what I wanted to be. I wanted to go either as a Smurf or Snoopy (I was OBSESSED with both). So when we made our way to K-Mart, I saw the costume that I instantly fell in love with and knew it was THE ONE. Snoopy's sidekick. 


My happiest moment! Taken by my dad on Halloween night 1988. *click pic to enlarge*
Woodstock. Halloween of '88. Best costume ever! 

My sister and I were soooooo happy that we didn't even care that all the other kids had super awesome costumes that must have cost so much more! I thought I looked smashing!! I felt like I was sooooo “rad” and NO ONE could top my plastic costume (HAHA!).. well, except for that one Freddy Krueger. HE was so real looking, I almost cried.

Looking back at these preserved memories that my father happily shot, I can't help but relive that moment of getting ready, going out, and coming back with BAGS of candy. This 23 year old memory makes me so sentimental especially since Halloween is just around the corner! To think that only a 99cent costume would make a child so happy that it resonates through to adulthood!

A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety.  ~Ansel Adams

I am forever grateful that my happiest moments are forever immortalized in beautiful still photos that my father captured whether by Polaroid camera, point and shoot or his SLR. I'm a bit mad at myself that I'm not more like that with my own kids. The camera that I own right now, is still operating on AA batteries!! None of that fancy DSLR stuff and I have to constantly replenish the batteries.  On days when I don't, the special moments just passes me by. Whether it's my kids' crazy antics, or not having a proper photo with Nigel Barker when I went to his book signing last July (NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!), or just candid photos of random things in my life. Not only that it's an EPIC FAIL as a blogger.. but as my father's daughter as well. God's honest truth, a piece of me feels like I'm disappointing my father.


My father passed away less than a month after my 18th birthday. It's been 10 years already yet I still grieve and miss him like it just happened yesterday. It devastates me that my father never got to meet his granchildren and vice versa... yet, I know his passion and legacy still lives on with us. It would devastate me even more if my children weren't able to share their pictures with THEIR children like I have been able to do with them. For that, I have my late father to thank for all the wonderful photographs he took.... and, because of my late dad, I'm able to share these never-before-seen pics of my childhood here, with all of you.


My Childhood – photo credits: My dad.


By the way, speaking of happy moments, have you guys seen the new Olympus Pen Lite E-PL3 and the Olympus Pen Lite Mini E-PM1?? It's fantastic!! The specs are so awesome! This is THE camera to get! You guys know how much I've been wanting an Olympus camera right?? I've blogged about it for months! Since June, I believe!! Anyways, the ad couldn't be more perfect! So apt and nothing short of cool!


The best part is, YOU have the chance of getting your hands on one of these beauties, thanks to Nuffnang and Olympus. Just head on over to Nuffnang's blog and find out how you can win them!

Hope you enjoyed my happiest moment, and feel free to share your happy moments with me in the comment section!

Toodles,

18 comments:

Isaac Tan,  October 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM  

stay happy yea! XD

Bella Enveeus,  October 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM  

hi sweetie!
tiba2 i hampir keluar airmata reading on what you wrote about your father.. i know ure right and that his legacy lives on.. and i'm sure he's proud of you, AA batteries or not.. i hope you win this contest shem! *hugs*

LadyJava,  October 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM  

Oh sweetie.. what a great entry and I totally relate about your dad.. I missed mine too although it's 19years already.. i too lost him before i got married and before any of my success in my life. So sad that they are not around to share in all the expriences..

I love the video.. you look so like Allie when you were a baby..hehe..

Hugs!

Mariuca,  October 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM  

:* :* :* :*

Mariuca,  October 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

Ohhhhh still runnin gon AA batteries? He he he he he he.... tell J for Christmas dis year (since u celebrate kan?), you would like a new camera.. tak payah BAC janji tak pakai AA batt! Ha ha... :-$ :-$ :-$

Mariuca,  October 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

OMG!!! I can recognize u as a baby la! Hahahahahahhaha aiyo.. same face! Lemme watch the rest... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Mariuca,  October 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM  

Awwwwwww bittersweet video clip and so clever la you making video all! I think I spotted Syura too, in the birthday pics?? You look the same la and so cute masa baby aiyo! What a wonderful tribute to your Dad also, I am sure he knows and is happy to have such lovely grnadkids from his beloved daughter, much love and hugs and al-fatihah for your Dad.... :'( :'( :* :* :* :* O:-) O:-) O:-)

Shemah,  October 24, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

Thanks Isaac! :)  

Shemah,  October 24, 2011 at 11:23 PM  

Hahahaha!! Yeah Marzie! Still running on AA batteries!!!! Can believe ah?? Really "lauyah" lah my camera.. so memalukan!! That's why, the camera I want J to get for me is an Olympus that I really love! But he still buat bodoh je.. just like me asking him for a vacation. LOL! 

Shemah,  October 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM  

Hahahahah same face kan me now and me as a baby?? hahahaha everyone who knows me since last time has been saying the same thing! LOL! 

Shemah,  October 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM  

Hahahahaha ala, not clever lah to make video. Windows Movie Maker yang clever do it all for me! LMAO! Yeah, Syura appeared in lots of the photos with me.. hahaha .. since we are only actually 20 months apart only in age. 

Awww.. thanks for all your sweet words. I really appreciate it.. I sure do hope my Dad is watching from above. We really miss him! Thanks for your doa... May he be raised in the ranks of paradise.. Amin! :)  

Shemah,  October 24, 2011 at 11:27 PM  

Awww.. thank you love! :)  Thanks for your kind words and I really do hope we make him proud. LOL @ AA batteries or not! Seriously lah.. I need a major upgrade on my camera! LMAO! I hope I win too... *crossing fingers* but I'm really just glad to share my story with all of you.. *hugs*

Shemah,  October 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM  

Al-Fatihah to both our fathers. I'm sure 19 years on, I will still miss him like I do now. I hope our fathers can see us now...


Thanks LJ!! J says Allie is a version of me cuma rambut curly... LOL! 

Hugs, LJ! Thanks for dropping by! 

Monica,  October 25, 2011 at 4:39 AM  

awww what a great post and touching post Shemah!! me too grew up around my dad who really loved photography specifically and i think i inherit my love for photography from him.. :)

thanks for sharing ur childhood photos..i love the way photos capture a moment in time and allow us to go back to revisit those moments!

i hope u win this NN contest..good luck!! ;)

Shemah,  October 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM  

Hi Mon!!  :* :* :*

You sound just like my sister and brother.. their passion and natural talent for photography definitely comes from my father. :)  I'm not blessed with the eye for it, but I think if push comes to shove, and I really practise, I think I'd be able to take decent photos! hahaha 


You're most welcome!! I was a cute baby, right? hahahahahahahaah yeah, so nostalgic to look at all these photos and reminisce about them. :)  


Thanks Mon! I'm sure there are many great entries.. but that doesn't stop me from hoping! hahaha ;)  

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Echo

Chat Away


Hit Me People!

Free web designs that are custom made.
custom website design
CommentLuv Enabled

Commentor of the Month

Life According To Me

Widget by Mxyzplk

Blog Community

  © Blogger template The Business Templates by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP